Thursday, August 6, 2009

Make-Up Manic

It's an obsession (because I can't think of a better word, someone help me out).

I've worn glass since 3rd grade and I'm about to be a Junior in college, so yeah it's been a while. As a result I didn't really do much in terms of make-up. But this was also a result of living in my small town that didn't really cater to people of color (as in there wasn't a selection of make-ups for darker skin tones) and having suffered form acne I was in need of foundation, concealer etc.

Going into college I pretty much came into my own, not only in terms of fashion, but make-up as well. Previously I felt hindered by the glasses (D & G's) and wore little to no make up, then as I started going out to the clubs and what not, I found that through experimentation, I could manipulate make-up to suit my framed face. It also helped that I was in a bigger town where lines like Maybeline and CoverGirl went BEYOND "Medium Beige" and "Honey".

Then came contacts. After a mishap that left my Dolce's broken :( I finally convinced my parent (who'd been completely against the idea for YEARS) into letting me get contacts. I was beside myself wit joy and excitement. Not to sound conceited but I feel that I am a beautiful young woman, and being forced to hide behind glasses was hard, so to finally be FREED, it was nearly EUPHORIC!

So of course I learned to work with my new canvas. It was so much fun.

YouTube. You knew it was coming, lol. Yes, YouTube, make-up tutorials were some of the first videos I watched outside of music videos. I've seen TONS of them and of course have subscribed to several "Gurus" or would-be-Gurus and SHOULD-be-Gurus.

And so another addiction began. LOL. No surprise, I watched and I watched, taking in ALL the knowledge they offered. I personally wish there were more women of color, so that I could more accurately apply there techniques, but I'm happy with what is available now.

Gurus you should check out (in no particular order).


I <3 make-up!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Leave your blog addy so I check it out if I haven't already. Love sharing style and information.

~Addicted Fembot